Korean Steamed Egg (계란찜) (2)

Currently, I'm in India. It's my second (and final) week here and I am loving it. India has been on my bucket list for almost two decades and I'm excited to be crossing it off.

Meanwhile, I'm here to share a somewhat mundane dish, but one that I love. It's just so simple but when I'm at a Korean restaurant and they bring this out as part of the free banchan (side dishes), I'm ecstatic, even though it's probably one of the cheapest dishes to make. I shared a steamed egg post previously and though the ingredients haven't really changed, I've since changed my technique for cooking and preparing the dish so I figured it was time for an update.
Ingredients:
¼ cup broth (beef, chicken, or vegetable)
¼ teaspoon salted shrimp (새우젓), or substitute with ¼ teaspoon salt or soy sauce
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 eggs
+ scallions for garnish

Start by adding the stock, salted shrimp (or salt), and garlic to a stoneware pot over high heat. Cover and bring to a rapid boil.
While you're waiting for the stock to boil, crack two eggs into a bowl and whip vigorously until bubbly.
Pour the beaten eggs into the boiling stock, reduce the heat to medium and stir the eggs into the stock until the mixture is relatively homogenous. Cover the pot and leave to cook for 6 minutes. Then, turn off the heat and leave alone for another 3 minutes.
When you remove the lid, you should be left with a deliciously fluffy pot of steamed egg.
Garnish with scallions and serve immediately.
The difference between this technique and my previous one is that this yields a much fluffier texture. The egg is light and airy and tastes great. I always crave steamed eggs after I go to the gym; I assume it's my body telling me I need protein.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments