Chilean Sea Bass with Butter & Lemon

Every time I've purchased Chilean sea bass, I've used it to make fried fish tacos but I've finally ventured out and I've done something different. I think I've finally prepared this fish in its more traditional, usual way. I'm not going to lie; the battered and fried preparation is still my favorite. However, this was still really quite good and a hell of a lot easier and faster making this the winner when it comes to weeknight meals. Ain't nobody got time to beer batter and deep fry on a Tuesday evening.
Ingredients [serves 2]:
1 lb. Chilean sea bass
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
¼ lemon, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced

I love this preparation because it's really simple but also quite flavorful and it really makes the fish the star, which is important because Chilean sea bass is expensive. So, start by crushing some garlic and grab a few lemon slices. Add the garlic, lemon and butter to a cold pan and then pop onto the hob over low heat.
As the butter melts, it will absorb the flavors of the lemon and the garlic. Fat is an excellent flavor absorber. Let the pan sizzle for a bit until the kitchen smells amazing and then kick up the heat to medium.
While the pan is heating, season the fish liberally with salt and pepper.
Nestle the fish into the hot pan. Tilt the pan and use a spoon to baste the fish with the butter.
Gently pan fry the fish for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Baste the fish again and again to maximize the flavor.
Don't waste any of the leftover butter and garlic; cook some spring vegetables in the pan drippings.
To make this an even more spectacular meal, I also whipped up some steamed clams and then proceeded to cook pasta in the clam juices.
And because it didn't feel like there were enough vegetables on the table, I also roasted some broccoli and sauteed some peas. By the way, the pasta and the clams are in bowls that I made myself! I took a couple of pottery classes and I'm finally putting some of my pieces to use.
Because Chilean sea bass is so fatty, it's a really deliciously moist fish and it's hard to make a mistake when you're cooking it. The lemon gives it a fresh kick and helps to cut through some of that richness. If you've never tried it, splurge a little and give it a go.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments