Black Eyed Peas & Rice

I love black eyed peas. Though let me be clear, I do not like The Black Eyed Peas; I'm on April Ludgate's side. Anyway, I especially love peas and rice. These aren't terribly different from my black beans & rice but I used dried beans for this recipe (and added bacon) so I thought it was worth sharing.

I made this rice a couple of times in a row to eat as a side dish with the meal I shared on Friday (chicken & waffles and collard greens) as well as some ribs that I did in the oven (because it's not quite grill season yet) but I feel like I could just eat this on its own and be satisfied.
Ingredients [serves 4]:
1 cup dried black eyed peas
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 oz. salt pork, diced
3 pieces bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ onion, diced
1 cup long grain rice
1½ cup chicken stock

The first step, which should happen several hours prior to making the dish, is to soak the beans. Add beans, baking soda, and water to a container and leave to soak overnight.
Grab a pan and add in the bacon and salt pork and heat over medium and cook until the fat renders out and the pork starts to crispen up.
Add onions and garlic and cook until soft.
Pour in the rice and stir to coat in the pork fat.
Add the beans to the rice and stir. Then, add in the chicken stock. Reduce the heat to low, pop on a lid, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
I slow cooked the ribs in the oven (instead of the grill) and they came out super delicious. We also had some cornbread and of course, we had collard greens. The peas and rice were awesome. I love the tender black eyed peas with the fluffy rice and I get so happy every time I get a delicious piece of bacon or salt pork. And now I'm hungry.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments