Blistered Shishito Peppers

Back in September, I visited my friend H in Connecticut and we had an amazing happy hour at Max Fish. One of the dishes I most enjoyed was a bowl of roasted shishito peppers. So, when I finally got my hands on a package, I decided to make them the same way.

This post is going to be stupidly simple so I'm also sharing the salt rock beef that we enjoyed alongside the peppers. Maybe that's some consolation.
Ingredients:
½ lb. shishito peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Lay the peppers out on a sheet pan and drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Give the peppers a massage to evenly distribute the fat and seasonings.
Roast the peppers in a low broiler for 5 to 7 minutes or until the skins start to blister and char.
Plate up and serve while they're still hot.
They're a perfect happy hour finger food. The skins are a little crisp, the interiors are tender, and the flavor of shishito peppers is great. They're a really mild pepper (although, you may find a spicy one once in a blue moon) and the flesh is thin, which is why they're perfect for a quick roast.
And, because the peppers were so quick (and frankly a little boring), I wanted to share how I finally put our Grand Cayman salt block to use. I heated the slab up in the oven slowly and then popped the hot rock onto the range and then seared a few pieces of thinly sliced beef on the salt.
The beef was lightly drizzled with sesame oil and then devoured (and like with the peppers, we used our fingers). I really like this salt slab cooking. Himalayan pink salt has a great flavor and it's less salty than sea salt, so it's not overwhelming even though the food's being rubbed all over with salt.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments