Roasted Bone Marrow

While we were in Ithaca earlier this month, we ate pretty lavishly. And while we were eating lavishly, I was reminiscing with my sister about my time at Cornell, when I was so poor that I debated with myself whether I should eat my whole lunch (because I was still kind of hungry) or try to hold back so I could eat the leftovers as my dinner and save some money. It's funny thinking about it now, but when I was in school, eating on a budget was a real struggle because I'm a big fatso.

Had I known about marrow bones back then, I might've fared a little better. It's amazing how cheap they are considering that they're so delicious; the cheap to delicious ratio is zero. Plus, they are incredibly simple to whip up. It's totally something I could have easily done in between studying and partying while I was in school.
Ingredients:
beef marrow bones
salt & pepper

To prep the bone marrow, pop the bones onto a sheet tray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. If your butcher cuts the bones crosswise (like mine does), then place them on the pan with the widest portion up. If your butcher cuts the bones lengthwise, then place them with the marrow up.

Pop the pan into a 450F oven (or onto a low heat grill like I did) for 15 to 20 minutes or until the marrow is brown and soft.
Bone marrow is typically served as an appetizer with toasts. Personally, I think it also makes an amazing lunch. Just grab a few thick slices of bread and spread the marrow all over and chow down.

For my lunch, I used ciabatta bread, drizzled the slices with olive oil, and toasted them in the oven just until the edges were golden.
To go with the marrow, which is really rich, I made a fresh and bright tomato salad. I made it with just diced tomatoes, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Then, lunch was up!
I spread the toasts with a spoonful of marrow and then topped the toast with the fresh tomatoes. So delicious! The marrow is unctuous and rich and super meaty with plenty of umami flavor. Contrasted with the crisp bread and the fresh tomatoes, it's a winning combination.
I mean, come on. Is that a lunch or what?
It also pairs nicely with a glass of chilled white wine.
Here's the sinfully easy recipe page:

Comments