Melontini

When I get home after work. I like to be as comfortable as possible so I always change into stretchy pants and a soft T or a billowy hippie dress, throw my hair up into a top knot, scrape the makeup off of my face, and then plop myself onto the couch to relax. Whilst looking like a she-beast, I tend to reach for a glass of milk to eat with a stack of cookies or I'll pour wine into a mug. I'm not usually one to shake up a fancy cocktail. But in the summer, I'm more inclined to put a little effort into my evening nightcap because the sun's out a little longer and I don't mind hanging out in the kitchen for a few more minutes after dinner.

Martinis always look super sexy but I'm too much of a wimp to drink them. Fruity martinis, on the other hand, tend to be a bit too sweet and toxically artificial. I mean, apple martinis are radioactively green, for goodness sake. However, today's melontini is bright and refreshing and super pretty but the alcohol content won't burn your brows off.
Ingredients:
ice
lemon twist
splash vermouth
2 oz. vodka (or gin, if you're a gin martini kind of guy/gal)
4 oz. watermelon juice (which I explained how to make in the inebriated melon post)
melon ball garnish

This is a super easy cocktail to whip up. Start by grabbing a little pitcher and drop in some ice. Take the lemon twist and squeeze it over the ice. Squeezing the lemon rind will release a spray of essential oils.
Add in a splash of vermouth and a good glug of vodka.
Pour in a good amount of watermelon juice and give it a stir. If you're James Bond and you prefer your martinis shaken, not stirred, then you could make this whole thing in a shaker. To be honest, I would've used a shaker except my shaker's lid is currently stuck on the base right now and I have no idea how to get it apart.
Grab a martini glass and pop in the garnish. I think a melon ball makes for an awesome olive/pearl onion substitute.
Pour in the martini and cheers to a well-made drink.
This melontini is so easy to make that it feels like it shouldn't look this sexy. But, it does, and it's awesome. I like sipping it whilst watching some trashy television in my at-home-lazy-garb because that's how cool I am. It's fresh and sweet and summery and makes for a perfect nightcap but honestly, I think this would also make an awesome brunch cocktail. And it would be super easy to make a big batch.
Cheers!

Comments