Ginger Peach Mango Bellini

At the beginning of every school year, the Cornell Store had a poster sale. As a broke-as-f college student, I could rarely justify spending $8 on a piece of paper. But, I'd always go and browse. Junior year, I ended up buying a 'Periodic Table of Mixology' poster because it was on sale for $4. Yes, I remember this detail because I have a keen memory for good sales. Anyway, this poster was how I learned about my favorite cocktail: the bellini. Bellinis are known for their presence at brunches but I'm happy ordering this at any time of the day. At our favorite spot in Collegetown, Stella's, I'd always order a bellini with a maraschino cherry (and then tip according to how many extra cherries the bartender tossed in).

In the past few years, I have significantly reduced the amount of alcohol I consume, just because of my age (I make it sound like I'm ancient but I'm still in my 20s) and for my health. But I haven't cut it out completely and I will never refuse an opportunity to cheers with a sweet, bubbly bellini. I thought I would put a fun and summery twist on the classic by adding some ginger and mango because why not?
Ingredients [serves 8 to 12]:
2" knob of ginger
2" piece of lemon zest
½ cup sugar
½ cup water
1 cup frozen peaches (6 to 8 slices)
½ cup frozen mango chunks
2 bottles prosecco (or champagne or bubbly white wine of your choice)

This cocktail recipe starts with a sugar syrup. Add sugar, lemon peel, and ginger to a saucepan and pour in some water. Pop it onto a low heat and cook just until the sugar melts.
Leave the syrup to cool completely.
Add the frozen peaches and mango to a blender and pour in the syrup (minus the lemon peel and ginger). Blend until a smooth puree forms.
To assemble the drinks, pour a tablespoon or two of the puree into a bottom of a champagne glass and top with prosecco. The pouring action and the effervescence should be enough to mix the puree into the prosecco. However, if you find that the drink looks separated, give it a quick spin with a stirrer.
Clink and cheers to a delicious summer and enjoy. This drink is fruity and fresh and the bubbles make it special. If you're looking for a virgin version, use a little soda water or sparkling grape juice.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments