Chicago-Style Pigs in a Blanket

I don't have anything against the midwest but I'd never want to live there. I grew up on the east coast and I think I will always want to live near an ocean and good pizza. However, one thing I'd love to see here more is the Chicago-style hot dog.

I mean, there isn't a whole lot to the dog itself; it's all about the toppings and the poppyseed bun. So, while I was making pigs in a blanket for the Super Bowl, I thought I'd serve them Chicago-style.
Ingredients [yields 24 pigs]:
24 mini franks
package crescent dough
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
+ mustard
+ diced tomato
+ diced onion
+ cornichons, but into mini spears
+ hot peppers

Everyone knows how to make pigs in a blanket, right? Just grab some crescent rolls, cut the dough into smaller pieces, and roll it around a baby hot dog.
Place the pigs on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 350F for 12 to 15 minutes or until the dough is puffed up and golden brown.
Serve up the cutie little pigs with all of the traditional Chicago-style dog toppings and go crazy.
I mean, who doesn't like mini-sized food?
Here's the recipe page:

Comments