Korean Braised Short Ribs (2) | Kalbi Jjim (갈비찜)

So, it's been two years since my original kalbi jjim post. Compared to my current posts, I find it v. visually unappealing and the writing is sub-par. I don't know, maybe my posts are still visually unappealing and my writing is still sub-par and I'm just delusional. No, you know what? I'm not going to do that whole fishing for compliments, sad sack attitude thing. My blog looks really cute these days and I'm proud! *Clears throat.* Anyway, I've made kalbi jjim I-don't-know-how-many times since that post and when I made it again a few weeks ago, I decided to update my recipe post with prettier photos and a slightly different recipe. Honestly, I cook certain dishes so often that a lot of the time, I just throw things into the pot and measure with my eyes so sometimes I put a little more of one ingredient and sometimes a little less.
Ingredients:
2½ lbs short ribs
2 small daikon radishes
1 onion
1" knob of ginger
6 to 8 cloves of garlic
hot peppers (optional)
¾ cup soy sauce
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon sesame oil
½ cup chestnuts (optional)
4 to 6 cups water
*This version is best if started the day before you want to serve it.

Score the beef so the flavors of the sauce can really penetrate the meat.
Chop the onions, roughly chop up the ginger (you can leave the skin on), and smash the garlic.
Peel and chop the radish.
Mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil.
Put the beef, onions, ginger, garlic, peppers, and the sauce mixture into the pot. Add in enough water to submerge the beef.
Bring the kalbi jjim to a boil and then skim off the foam. Lower the heat and then let the kalbi jjim simmer for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool overnight. Leave in a cold place (either the fridge or even your garage if it's winter). The next day, skim off the solidified fat and then bring the pot back up to a boil.

Pop on a lid and let the kalbi jjim simmer for one hour.
Serve piping hot with rice and other banchan. The meat should be falling-off-the-bone tender and delicious.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments