Watermelon & Feta Salad

What is salad? I define salad as a chilled dish made up of relatively uniformly sized ingredients mixed together. The majority of the ingredients are fruits or vegetables. Though most salads are chilled, they can also be served room temperature and a few are typically served warm. What else - most contain a flavor enhancing seasoning, e.g. spices, oils, or dressings. That's how I define a salad.

So when I throw a bunch of watermelon, feta, and cilantro into a bowl, I'd say it qualifies as a salad.
I was debating whether or not I should even post this because it's just three ingredients and it's so simple. However, I thought that for anyone who hasn't thought about watermelon in a more savory context, this would be an interesting post.

Ingredients:
2 cups cubed watermelon (½" cubes)
2 tablespoons crumbled feta
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (or basil or mint)

And now for the difficult instructions: add all of the ingredients to a bowl, toss together, and eat. I know, I know; that's it. Such a simple dish that's super delicious. The contrast of sugary watermelon to the salty cheese is awesome and of course, cilantro always brightens up a dish. If you're not a fan of cilantro, you can use basil.


Another variation is to make the salad with cucumbers and basil (in addition to the watermelon and feta). So fresh and summery and delicious.

This is probably the dumbest recipe page I've ever made. Please don't judge me!

Comments