Stir-Fried Anchovy and Fish Cake

So it seems like lately, I've been revisiting a lot of previous posts. It's easy for me to want to redo entries because of the poor photo quality and format of my older ones but I don't force myself to redo posts, it just happens organically. Today's post isn't necessarily a repost exactly; it's more of a modification on a previous recipe for myulchee, an anchovy side dish. This one incorporates fish cakes, which I've done a recipe post on as well. I've made it a few times in the past couple of months because it's easy but it's delicious and somewhat unique enough that I decided I wanted to share it on my blog.

Ingredients:
1 cup dried anchovies
1 cup sliced fish cake (odeng 오뎅, I used the sheet kind but the spherical kind would also work)
2 long hot peppers, sliced thinly
½ onion, sliced
3 cloves roughly chopped garlic
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon hot pepper paste
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Start by heating a large skillet with the canola oil and sesame oil.

Add in the onions, garlic, and hot peppers and let them cook a bit until the onions start to get soft. Next, drop in the dried anchovies and fish cake and saute for a bit until the fish cakes start to get a bit of color. Finally, add the soy sauce, hot pepper paste, and honey and then stir to make sure the saucy ingredients coat the vegetables and the fish cakes and anchovies.
Finish off the dish by sprinkling in some sesame seeds.
Serve warm. Any leftovers can be refrigerated and enjoyed cold as well.
Goes great with a hot bowl of rice. By the way, one of my favorite things to do when the container is almost empty - thinking about it is making me drool - is to mix a bit of rice in with the little bit of leftover myulchee and odeng. There's usually a bit of flavored oil left in the bottom, which doesn't sound heart healthy, but it's so delicious. Mixing rice into the pan used to cook the dish is also really yummy.

Here's the recipe page:

Comments