Baked Salmon with a Soy Glaze

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of salmon, unless it's in a spicy salmon sushi roll. I mean, it's okay but I feel like it's kind of cliche and overrated. I guess I have to admit that it can be quite delicious and the color is so lovely, it makes for a great presentation which is why so many people serve it at dinner parties. Recently, while I was at the market, some really fresh looking salmon caught my eye and yes, I was drawn in by the lovely color so, I'm sharing a soy glazed salmon recipe. Like so many of my recipes, it's one that was born out of laziness and was limited to what was available in my fridge and pantry.

Ingredients [serves 2]:
2 @ 6 oz. salmon fillets
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (use parsley or omit if cilantro isn't up your alley)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Start by mixing everything but the salmon in a bowl. It should be rather chunky and there shouldn't be too much liquid.

Then, place the salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet (for easy clean up) and spoon the glaze mixture over the fish. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the skin (unless it's in a salmon skin sushi roll - sensing a theme here?) so I buy fish without the skin or ask the fish monger person to skin it for me. However, if you enjoy the skin, place the fish on the pan skin side down.
Bake the fish in a 350 oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the flesh is opaque.
Serve warm with rice or pasta or potatoes or vegetables or couscous - the possibilities are endless. The glaze is a little bit salty, a little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, and full of flavor. The seasonings cut down the fishy factor quite a bit so it's great for picky eaters too.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments