Strawberry Bread Pudding

Over the Christmas holiday, I made a strawberry bread pudding for dessert. I was at the grocery store and when I walked past the fruit and produce section, I could smell the strawberries and they smelled so sweet and yummy, I felt like I needed to use them somehow. Also, the sourdough boule looked really fresh too so I decided to put the two together and make a strawberry bread pudding. This recipe is based on my vanilla bean bread pudding with just a few tweaks so I'm not going to do a step-by-step photo diary because I am lazy and it just feels like it would be redundant.

Ingredients:
4 cups cubed (stale) bread (I used a sourdough boule)
1 cup cream
1-1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs
1 cup strawberries, chopped up

Start by buttering a 9" x 9" casserole dish and fill it up with the cubed up bread and strawberries. Whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, melted butter, and eggs and pour over the bread and strawberries.
Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to one hour until the top layer of bread is golden brown.

Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
Macerate any leftover strawberries with some honey.
Oh, and if you have any vanilla ice cream, grab some of that.
Serve the bread pudding (warm or at room temperature) with ice cream and the macerated berries. The fresh berries with the roasted berries is a great combination.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments