Salted Chocolate Krispies Treats

I love homemade Rice Krispies Treats. The storebought pre-made kind are too sweet for me so I steer clear of those. The best thing about RKT (isn't that a cool acronym?! kidding) is that they're super easy to make, insanely quick, and you can eat them immediately. Plus, they're easy to jazz up and make your own, and that's what I did a week ago. I decided I wanted a chocolate-y version so I used Cocoa Krispies and then took it a step farther and added some melted chocolate and a sprinkle of sea salt to balance the sweetness.

Ingredients:
4 cups Cocoa Krispies
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon sea salt
*I like 60% cacao chocolate chips because they provide lots of chocolate flavor without the sugary sweetness.
**The recipe on the Rice Krispies box says to use a ratio of 2:3 (marshmallows:cereal) but I find that is way too gooey and sweet for me so I like a ratio of 1:2 but if you like the gooier classic recipe, add in another 1/2 cup of marshmallows.
Start by greasing a 9"x9" pan with some butter.

And measure out all of your ingredients.
Next, melt some butter in a non-stick pan over low heat. You want a gentle heat so that nothing burns. Once the butter is melted add in the marshmallows and slowly stir with a rubber spatula (or a buttered wooden spoon) until the marshmallows are completely melted (should take 3 to 4 minutes) and then remove from the heat.
Pour cereal into the melted marshmallows and stir quickly to coat everything evenly.
Press the cereal-marshmallow mixture into the greased pan.
Then sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and place in the oven broiler for a few minutes until the chocolate is melted. Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the surface.
Next, sprinkle salt over the melted chocolate. Use more or less depending on your preference and salt tolerance.
Cut the treats into squares.
And you could wait for the chocolate to harden or you could just dig in right away.



Here's the recipe page:

Comments