Penne with Sausage and Pink Sauce

I haven't sorted through my Christmas (eve & day) photos yet so I'll just post a dish I made a few weeks ago. This was an "UGH, I don't really feel like cooking, what do we have in the fridge?" type of spontaneous meal. I didn't plan on blogging it because I didn't know what the end result would be (or whether it would be worthwhile) but it ended up being really delicious so I'll post a few photos and give you the recipe page, in case you want to try it out.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb penne rigate (penne with lines, or you could use any short cut pasta you prefer)
salt for the pasta water
1 link of hot sausage and 2 links of sweet sausage
5 to 6 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups roughly chopped kale
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup vodka sauce (or regular tomato sauce, we always have a store bought bottle in our pantry)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese.
I decided to call this pink sauce because the vodka sauce and cream mixed together looked pink.

I ended up loving this pasta because it was a little spicy (because of the hot sausage and crushed red pepper flakes) and it tasted rich because of all the cheese and sausage and cream but still felt kind of light because of the kale and mushrooms.
Here's the recipe page:

Comments