Indian Feast Part 6: Red Onion Chutney

This is my last post in my Indian Feast "series." It's my favorite condiment at Indian restaurants, red onion chutney. It's a spicy pickled onion and it's really refreshing and it adds a punch of flavor to anything you add it to. I have a suspicion that the reason I love it so much is that it reminds me of kimchi, not because of the taste, but just because it's something kind of acidic that helps refresh your palate when you're eating something heavy or greasy.

Ingredients:
1 red onion, diced
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon grated ginger
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
Dump all of the ingredients together into a bowl.
Stir, and let it sit and pickle for 1 hour at room temperature. Any longer than 1 hour and it should be moved to the refrigerator.
After pickling, the onions should have given off a lot of juice. Give it a taste - it should be sweet and spicy. Just know that the longer it sits, the spicier it will get from the cayenne.

Comments