Tuna Diavolo

There's an Italian deli in Baltimore (featured on DDD) that I frequent for lunch during the workweek and they have this amazing tuna sandwich. I don't like mayonnaise so though I enjoy tuna salad and chicken salad, I'm not quick to order either. However, this type of tuna sandwich is mayo-less and has lots of hot cherry peppers so I LOVE it and order it frequently. It's just as easy to make at home too so over the weekend, I made it for lunch.
Ingredients [serves 4]:
good loaf of crusty Italian bread
balsamic vinegar
extra virgin olive oil
capers
hot cherry peppers
1 can tuna packed in olive oil
provolone cheese
baby greens
Start by cutting the bread (I love good, fresh, crusty Italian) and sprinkle each side with some balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
Next, drain half the oil in the can but save the rest and add it all to a bowl. Using a fork, break up the tuna and then add in a few teaspoons of capers and stir.
Then assemble the sandwich. Start with a slice of provolone on each side, then the tuna, greens, and hot cherry peppers (which I chop up into pieces for uniformity).
Cut in half and enjoy!

Comments