Cena Mexicana, la Segunda Parte

I could've probably made an entire meal out of just the rice & beans but I decided to be fancy and supplement the side dish with a main dish, skirt steak with chimichurri, and a second side dish, an avocado and corn salad. So here's my second installment of my Mexican dinner.

The easiest thing to make ahead of time is the chimichurri sauce. I made it in my mini food processor; it took less than 5 minutes.
2/3 cups (loosely packed) cilantro
2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil (enough to make a smooth sauce)
1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper


I'd say, get about 1/4 to 1/3 lbs of skirt steak per person, unless everyone has an extremely voracious appetite, in which case, get more!

I cut mine up into a few pieces to make it easier to cook and seasoned both sides with Montreal steak seasoning (my go-to when seasoning pretty much any steak).

 I cooked the steak on a cast iron skillet (no need to add oil). I got the skillet really hot to make sure the meat would get an intense sear.
I let the steaks cook for about 2 minutes on each side to get nice color on them and then covered them with a tin foil tent for another 2 minutes. We like our steaks medium to medium rare in our house and they came out perfectly medium, cooked this way.
Let the steaks rest for a few minutes before slicing them. Most restaurants I've been to with skirt steak cut the steak along the grain since it's a relatively tender steak. However, that's also why I like to cut the steak into smaller pieces before cooking them. Then I can cut against the grain of the neatly portioned pieces. That makes the meat even more tender.
Serve with the chimichurri - SO GOOD.
















I made a tiny salad because I only had one avocado, but I'd say use at least 1 avocado and 1 corn cob (is that what you call it? cob?) per person.

I cut my avocado in half, popped out the pit, scored it with a knife, and then scooped it out the flesh with a spoon.
Then I cut the kernels off of the corn into a bowl.
Squeeze half a lime onto the avocado and corn (for both flavor and to prevent the avocado from turning brown).
And then sprinkle in some chili powder and salt before tossing it all (gently) with a spoon.
Mexican Coke
I washed down my Mexican feast with some Mexican coke (made with real sugar).

I wish I'd taken a shot of my plate loaded with food, but I was so hungry and so consumed with my meal that I forgot! My bad!












¡buen provecho!

Comments